Sunday, March 1, 2009

Social interaction for the win.

Having just come from a lovely supper at the Bagel Cafe with Maggie, I am pondering friendships and the many types of which I've been a part. Over my time in St. John's, I have found an almost unfair (to others) number of amazing friends. Never before have I felt so at ease around so many people. I realize that one element of this is reaching adulthood, but I know that it's not the only one.
I think of the friendships that my mother has. The ones that have lasted decades despite the fact that contact only happens a few times a year, at most. Yet, she sits down with these people over a bottle of wine and they talk for hours about everything under the sun. This is how I am with Maggie, and many others. Whether we see each other every second day or once a month our conversations are a beautiful mess of segues and tangents and forgetting where we began.

No comments: